Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Update on Elijah's arm...

This morning we had to go to Children's Hospital once again. Elijah had an appointment with the orthopaedic doctor to check on his arm. We got some bad news. After the first X-ray it showed that both of his bones were no longer in place. The doctor said they needed to reset it but they do not use any anesthesia...they just take the old cast off and reset his arm quickly while the new cast is drying so it will be tight and stay in place...hopefully. It was horrible to see my sweet little boy in so much pain. It did only last about 2 minutes, but it was so painful. Elijah got sick to his stomach and very faint and dizzy. He couldn't stand up. They had to wheel him in a wheelchair to the X-ray room this time. They took another X-ray and it still was not in place. So they had to do it again! Poor thing. He broke down, cried, and just started to shake in fear. I was in tears as well. They had to take the new cast off once again and reset it again. He sat on my lap this time. I tried my hardest to help comfort him, but him seeing me in tears didn't help I'm sure. After they reset it for the second time, it still is not perfect but somewhat in place. We go back next Thursday to see an orthopaedic surgeon to see if it is still in place and if not...we will schedule the surgery for pins to be put in to help keep it in place. The doctor didn't seem very optimistic. Elijah was so brave! I let him pick out a special toy after the appointment because of all he had been through.

No comments: